Carpentry/Woodworking Practice: Make a Bird House! (Overview)


I'm currently making two DIY upcycled storage platforms using old beds frames and slats. One for my multi-purpose Komorebi room, the other for a relaxing corner for my living room. So I thought before I start on my massive project, I have to hone in my skills and what better way to do that than to practice making a bird house for my garden outside my corridor!



The skills I need to practice and acquire are:
  1. Woodworking and Aesthetic Design Knowledge: The very first step and most important skill! One must first understand how wood works, and how the design fits the human requirements and usage!
  2. Making Holes 
    • using a hand-held Drill,  a drill press stand or with a pocket hole jig for pocket holes and holes for dowels
    • using a hand held Router
  3. Cutting: Making square and diagonal cuts with Circular Saw and Jig Saw
  4. Smoothen, Chamfer and reduce edges by using router, Jack plane and planner 
  5. Joinery: Make Lap joints, dados and finger joints using a router, jigsaw or hand saw
  6. Making and practice using jigs and other assistance Tools
    • Drill Press Stand
    • Clamps: F-Clamp, Quick Release Clamp, C Claps
    • Pocket hole jig 
    • Making Jigs
  7. Assembly techniques
    • Gluing and Clamping (especially for joinery)
    • Dowels (use dill press stand or router or drill?)
  8. Treating Wood against boring insects and fungus with Vinegar and/or Baking Soda
  9. Finishing Wood using tea and/or coffee stain, shellac, DIY varnishes

Outlines

Make a Treehouse Part 1:  Designing the Bird House using upcycled wood


<searched on yyyy_mm_dd>

Make a Treehouse Part 2: Cut, Drill, Rout the Wood

<searched on yyyy_mm_dd>

ReSearch/ Reference







Backstory


What happened?

I'm currently renovating my own home in the bid to 

  1. Use more of my hands
  2. Reduce home ownership costs (Renovation in Singapore costs up to 60k SGD for what I want to do! 
  3. A research and learning project on my part to develop: 
  It turned out more than I have bargained for as I have to think harder than before to solve problems. This is especially so when I:

  • Do not have a dedicated workshop. I have to work from home, which means finding space, reducing noise and complaints from neighbors, and to deal with the dust and grime. 
  • Do not the right kind of tools and supplies: Singapore has really limited (and expensive!) toolsets and woodworking supplies! I can't even find wood screws!
  • Am upcycling: means all my components are not standard. I have to deal with a juxtaposition of wood in different sizes and states. I have bed slats and frames from 5 different sets!


What did I do?

I turned one of the rooms (Komorebi Room) I'm working on as a temporary workshop, and will finish working on that room last.

Resolution

I decided to start working on a Bird House to be placed outside my Corridor Garden, perched on top of the log collected from the cut tree in my neighbourhood. Now my corridor has butterflies, bees and the occasional minah. Hopefully more beautiful birds from the river will rest here!




Share on Google Plus

About Aldrin

0 comments:

Post a Comment